Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Who's Lola?

Obviously, every character in A Brief and Wondrous Life is complex, but what strikes me is the attachment that both Yunior and Oscar have with Lola. I understand that Yunior is really into her, or whatever we want to call it; I also understand that it's Oscar's sister and her loves her, but why is she the one solitary thing that keeps him, for the time being, alive? I think it's a beautiful thing, but I'm curious. On page 201 we are told "One second he was thinking about his characters...and then some last alarm would sound. Lola." Lola is Oscar's only hope it seems, but why? Have I missed something super important that explains that their relationship is more than just a close bond between siblings? Or is that just it--a close bond.

4 comments:

  1. It seems to me that Lola has been Oscar's rock since elementary school when he was dumped by Maritza. She was the only one who supported Oscar, and I think that her dedication to him was absolutely mutual. Perhaps the hardships of their home life caused them to form a strong bond. I like how you question Lola; it does seem that she has an impact on everyone she come in contact with, especially La Inca and Max.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always assumed Oscar's attachment for Lola came from the simple fact that they are family. Most cultures value family more than American culture. Not to say Americans view their family as less important, but it is hard to argue that Americans have a closer relationship with families than almost any other culture out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think she is probably the person he loves most in the world, and the person who loves him the most. I don't think he wants to leave her behind to grieve for him. I think often times people who are severely depressed like Oscar, stay alive solely for the people they love, until they can no longer endure their pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the infatuation with Lola is her strong will and dignity that she inherited from Beli. Oscar's infatuation with her could relate to the Freudian Theory where Lola is much like their mother, whom Oscar ultimately respects.

    ReplyDelete