Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Fukú or Zafa? It's up to you!

In last Friday’s class I said that I didn't really like The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, but that I also didn't hate it. I’m still not 100 % sure how I feel about this book, but my feelings have definitely changed. One of the reasons I wasn't such a huge fan of Oscar Wao was because I found it to be a rather depressing book, mainly because I hated the way it seemed that most characters, especially Oscar, were all too willing to believe in the negativity of fukú. I felt like the book was one big resignation. I felt that it supported the idea that we have no control over our lives. I realize now, after finishing the book and our discussions in class, that I was wrong.
In the introduction of the book, Yunior says, “I wonder if this book ain't a zafa of sorts. My very own counter spell”(7). Originally, I assumed that if one chose to believe in zafa, that he or she must also believe in fukú. However, upon further reflection, I believe Yunior is writing this book to remind himself to believe in zafa, not fukú. For the majority of the novel, Oscar believes his life is ruled by fukú, by a curse that he has no control over and therefore can do nothing about. He blames all his issues on this curse; he’s fat because of fukú, he’s a virgin because of fukú, he tries to kill himself because of fukú; but, by the end of the book, Oscar’s views radically change. Some of his last words, were the ones I found to be most inspiring out of the entire book; “Because anything you can dream … you can be”(322). Finally Oscar realizes that he can’t control what happens in the world around him, but he can control himself and what occurs within him.

His sister Lola discusses painful things that have happened in her life and says, “The curse, some of you will say. Life, is what I say. Life”(210). A lot of bad things happen in this world, that’s just life, but it’s what we choose to believe in or put our energy into which makes us who we are. Many times Yunior asks fukú or zafa, allowing the reader to choose what he or she believes. I first believed this book was full of negativity; I now look at this book as zafa. A reminder that if we choose to believe ourselves cursed, then we will be cursed, but also, if we choose to focus on the good (in ourselves and in life), good will come our way.  It is Oscar’s journey, the way he is eventually able to feel more positive about himself and truly understand that you can be anything you can dream, which makes this book zafa and also finally gets him laid. I for one have thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, it’s made me mad and made me scoff at times, but in the end I felt it had a great message. I also enjoyed Díaz’s writing style. I’m curious to know how others felt after completing Oscar Wao? Did anyone else’s feelings completely change, like mine did?

3 comments:

  1. I agree! I've admitted before that I like crude language in writing. I think it gives short stories and novels a more personal feel, because let's be honest, a large amount of people speak this way on an everyday basis and it's relatable. Though the characters in the novel are DR, they lived (or tried to live) normal lives in America. We may not know anyone personally, but there definitely Oscar Waos out there struggling to find girls to have sex with them--just about every guy from the ages of 15-22. haha.

    On a more serious note, though, life really is what you make it. If a person wants to be down and depressed, life is going to suck, but if a person chooses to be happy, life will go smoothly and be more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morgan, I think the interpretation that we cannot be responsible for most of what happens in the world hits the nail on the head.Our lives are a blank book. It is what we choose to write on the pages that matters and gives meaning to our lives. Like all of us, Oscar was an enigmatic, flawed creature. But in his own way he was trying to find meaning in his own life and in his interpretation of a world that was too full of lust for power and control over the lives of others. Fuku is hate and Zafa, or love, is the antidote. Wonderful book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morgan, I also loved that quote, "Because anything you can dream, you can be". I have to admit I may have welled up a little, because it is a such a sweet remark coming from a person who had suffered so much. I felt that Oscar did triumph at the end of his life.

    ReplyDelete