Thursday, April 23, 2015

Sylvia Plath



Among our earliest reading this semester, I was particularly drawn to Sylvia Plath’s poem “Metaphors.” What attracted me to the piece, which is about pregnancy, was its ambivalence toward the event. To me, Plath was courageous and honest about her feelings. Ordinarily, women are supposed to feel happy and joyous about carrying a child. But Plath, noting that she had lost her identity as a woman and an artist, asserts: “I’m a means, a stage, a cow in calf” (line 7). Plath’s creativity is no longer recognized by society, and she laments her loss in verse. In other words, the writer has been reduced to a seed carrying vessel, like a melon. She is dehumanized, of secondary importance to the embryo growing inside her, objectified into a “fat purse”(6). Plath recognized that pregnancy had permanently altered the trajectory of her life. I note, too, that she committed suicide. One senses resentment about the thing growing inside her. “Metaphors” is a short but powerful poem that is pregnant with meaning (pun intentional).

4 comments:

  1. LOLOL! I love this Charles! You are always so insightful and I agree wholeheartedly. How sad that a woman who so didn't want to be a wife and mom felt forced to fulfill both rolls and ultimately ended her life because of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is quite ironic, like you and Leah have both pointed out, that a woman, whose role as a woman is to want to be a mother and wife, wants to be neither. I think it also shows us exactly how life is not always as simple as it should be, and it really never goes as planned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that Plath was courageous to write this poem, because, as you said, women were supposed to want to have children. Her poem is powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As everyone has noted, I do agree that Plath seems to resent motherhood. I wonder if, when she was writing "Metaphors," she thought about her children reading the poem.

    ReplyDelete