Friday, April 10, 2015

Fuku vs Zafa: Real or Fake?

I just wanted to add more to what Morgan has said about this thought of positive thinking.  I would agree with what she has said about characters.  I feel that they believe this curse is what has brought these bad events and situations upon them; however, can we really blame an abstract "existence?"  How do we know this curse really exists.  It seems as though these characters are using this curse as an excuse because they lack the motivation to change their circumstances.

I would like to utilize one situation in particular (Morgan hit the Beli situation pretty well):

Yunior makes an attempt to help Oscar out.  Oscar continuously complains that he can't "get any."  He feels that he will never get feminine attention.  However, Oscar NEVER makes the attempt to change in order gain this desired attention.  If Oscar really wanted to be the stereotypical Hispanic, he would make a change.  He would heed Yunior's advice and exercise and make a more attractive image for himself.  Oscar had someone willing to help him with his situation, "Did I try to help him with his girl situation? Share some of my playerly wisdom?  Of course I did.  Problem was, when it came to the mujeres my roommate was like no one on the planet" (173).  Oscar was unwilling to put in the effort and make the change.  The easiest way to diverge his non-handsome characteristics was to blame them on the curse.

It is evident that these characters utilize the curse as a crutch because they are not willing to put in the effort to change their negative situations into positive ones.  If they were to think positively, and put the negativity behind them, it is possible that life for them would not be so bad.  They are simply bitter.  Many individuals come to terms with this scenario in life often.  We can either be bitter about the negative in life, leaving us eternally and continuously eaten alive, or we can pick ourselves up and move on, leaving us happy and cleansed.


4 comments:

  1. Brittany, Although I agree with some of your points, I think the idea of positive thinking producing substantive change is too simplistic. For instance, it does not matter how hard one works or strives toward quality, effort and desire do not necessarily guarantee success. Effort, however, does create the possibility of change, whereas passivity does not. For instance, sociological studies demonstrate that the greatest predictor of economic success in the U.S. is the socioeconomic class that one is born into. Moreover, race and sex are contributing factors. Some people are permanently disadvantaged, and that may be what Oscar means by being cursed. In a sense, perhaps Oscar's curse is the Trujillo legacy that set his family back for generations, much like the ancestors of slaves are operating at a disadvantage today. The same argument applies to women and the struggle for equal pay with men, all other things being equal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with everything you are saying Charles, but in my opinion, positive thinking and effort go hand in hand. It is hard to motivate yourself when your thoughts dwell in the realm of negativity. Only once you acknowledge and except the situations you have found yourself in can you begin to focus on them in a more positive way, thus motivating yourself (hopefully) to achieve the things you truly wish to.

      Delete
  2. I don't believe that Oscar and his family just use Fuku as an excuse. I believe these characters truly believe in Fuku and therefore they give it power. There's a huge difference between someone who says, "I didn't go outside today because I thought something bad might happen." and someone who says, "I didn't go outside today because I KNEW something bad WOULD happen." One is a little cautious and paranoid, but also a little flaky sounding (Like really you wouldn't leave your house on a chance of something bad?). The other is more definite, more resolute, and more fearful. I believe this is where Oscar's family comes from and because of this they create the curse they fear. Is it an excuse? Maybe to you and me, but to this family it is very real and not a joke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your post, and agree with you in a lot of your points that you make, Brittany. Although, like Charles said, positivity does not always mean that one is going to achieve a goal or be successful, but I do believe it helps. There are so many people that I know that constantly feel bad for themselves, which causes them to miss out on so many opportunities in life. I can't help but think of the novel/movie "Holes" every time this curse comes up in class. The entire plot is based around this belief that their family is cursed, but in the end the curse miraculously disappears. It makes me wonder if the so called "curse" ever existed, or was it just their negativity and actions that brought their family down?

    ReplyDelete