Friday, April 3, 2015

Lola's Need to Fly

So far from The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao my favorite character is Lola. Seeing her transformation from a meek girl who took her mother's physical and verbal abuse into a woman who fights back was utterly fascinating to me. It is sad to think that Lola does not receive the support that she should from her mother, however I love that Lola is able to both gain her independence and keep her standard set of morals in check. I love the part in the novel where Lola decides to shave all of her hair off as a sort of protest against those that try to conform her. For me it was so easy to get sucked into her life story, to feel as if she were a real person learning how to find her way in life. I cannot wait to see what the text has in store for her, but I hope she gets the happy ending she deserves.

2 comments:

  1. I like Lola too, and I am very disturbed by the way her mother treats her. I was especially shocked that when she ran away, nobody really came looking for her. How must it feel to leave your life and feel as if nobody even worried about where you were going? It will be interesting to see how this character develops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lola was also my favorite character. She is the best representation of a woman that Diaz gives us. She has undoubtedly been through a lot with her mother, but it somehow gives her a better character. I hope to see her character to continue to thrive in the rest of the novel as a symbol of feminism.

    ReplyDelete