Friday, April 3, 2015

Active Reading in Fun Home and The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

As I mentioned in class today, I think that these two texts, Fun Home and The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, are particularly adept for reading during the same week because they both require the same active readership.

As I am moving through this novel by Diaz, I am so drawn to his extensive footnotes. I find myself pulled away from the narrative in a pleasant, related way, as if the author is taking me aside and discussing with me personally these matters. The footnotes do read like casual conversation, or even as theatrical asides in which the playwright or actors break the fourth wall.

I am especially drawn to footnote 5, on the bottom of page 19 in our edition: "The pejorative pariguayo, Watchers agree, is a corruption of the English neologism 'party watcher.'" In writing "Watchers agree," the narrator is suggesting that there are more of his kind, these omniscient third party but first person narrators. This concept totally reiterates the scifi/fantasy feel of Diaz's universe, as well as remind us of the novel's frequent suggestions of magical realism.

What do you all make of these footnotes? Do they distract from or enhance your reading experience?

1 comment:

  1. Eileen, Your comments are, as always, intelligent and insightful. Like you, I find the footnotes interesting and necessary to understanding the narrative. I do not find it distracting at all. This is an interesting technique.

    ReplyDelete