Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Oscar's Attempted Suicide vs Bruce's Death

          As I read Oscar’s attempted suicide passage, I kept thinking about Fun Home. During our Fun Home class discussion we talked about Bruce’s death. Although, Bechdel doesn’t make it clear whether Bruce’s death is a suicide or not, the action that caused his death included another person. During class I believe it was Dr. Hanrahan that reminded us to think about how the truck driver who hit Bruce must feel about killing him. If indeed Bruce had chosen suicide by being hit by a bread truck, his decision would be selfish because of the affect his death has had on the truck driver. I think this same question can be used hypothetically when we look at Oscar’s attempted suicide. Oscar chooses to “thr[ow] himself down into the darkness,” and by doing so, he risks being hit by a car (190). If Oscar had not smashed into the median, and instead landed on the car, he probably would have killed both the driver and himself. Even if Oscar did not kill any drivers, they would still be mentally affected by hitting him with their car. Oscar’s chosen method of suicide seems just as selfish as Bruce’s death (if he actually chose suicide). What do you guys think? Are there other connections we can make between Oscar and Bruce?

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think drawing connections between Oscar and Bruce is not much of a long shot, and I'm glad you thought of doing so. Much like Bruce, Oscar did not fit in with the society around him. He was different, and although Oscar did not try to hide it as much as Bruce, neither of the men succeeded in fitting in with their surroundings. Another similarity is that they both struggle in the area of love. As for their chosen suicide methods (possible suicide method in Bruce's case), I would think that both men were simply to upset to care about the affects that their actions would have on another person. Also, neither men were exceptionally strong, and in the method chosen the men would not have to concern themselves with following through with their actions. This can be connected back to The Awakening and the question of Edna's strength, and the fact that her suicide was by her own hand. On a darker note, it is also possible that the men were fully conscious of the affect that their action would have on another individual, but made the decision to let someone else suffer the way that they had: silently and alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this connection Rachel. Bechdel and Diaz tell the reader that Bruce/Oscar are going to die before the reader knows how or why. Also, I think that Oscar's attempted suicide and Bruce's death have an air of mystery around them. Also, I agree with your argument of a similar "selfish" attempted suicide/death.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also really like this connection. I hadn't thought of Oscar's suicide being selfish the way Bruce's was, if he did commit suicide. However, I think you make an excellent point in the fact that both character's deaths contain similar aspects. I cannot think of any other connections, however, except their despair in life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everyone above. I really like the connection you made in your blog. I've heard many people say that suicide is a selfish act because choosing to end your life leaves so many people that care about you upset and wondering if they could have prevented it. I am not saying that I agree with that in any way, but the act of suicide that involves an innocent person, in my eyes, is extremely selfish. That person would have to live with that for the rest of their lives, which is not fair.

    ReplyDelete