Wednesday, April 22, 2015

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao and Banned Books



As we wrap up the semester, I have been pondering over a discussion we had in class the other day about The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. The novel was nominated for Shepherd University’s common reading book, but unfortunately, didn’t make the cut. Did the university not want a text with sexual activities and foul language representing the school? Did the majority vote simply go to another novel? Many of the individuals in class felt like incoming freshman would be mature enough to read this text, and I agree. College is the time to take the next step as a thinker. I really hope that the selection for the common read is not based off of length, because I think that Shepherd should want to challenge all of their students, not take the easy way out. However, I don’t want to imply that this type of situation happens only at Shepherd University (I love my school). For example, a school in New Jersey is intending to ban The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao from their curriculum entirely. Oscar Wao Banned?

            Dr. Hanrahan mentioned something in class something the other day that made me think: “We have to recognize that if books have the power to do great good for an individual, why can’t they cause harm?” Sure, in the wrong hands, there is a possibility that books can be “bad” (this really made me think of the Harry Potter paranoia). However, I believe that there is a greater chance that novels will inspire an individual. Banned books such as, Huckleberry Finn, To Kill a Mockingbird, and Uncle Tom’s Cabin are literary classics that have impacted people’s lives. So what do you think? Does the title of a “banned book” have any stigma over the text?

            Overall, as I leave Shepherd University this semester, I am glad I have had the chance to read so many texts that display sexual and cultural diversity (thanks to the amazing English department).

P.S. Good luck on finals and have a great summer! I really enjoyed this blogging experience and being in class with all of you!!

5 comments:

  1. Kristen, It has been enjoyable taking this class and others with you. It has been an honor to participate in a small part of the journey with all of you. Good luck to everyone. I hope that you find your calling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen, I like how you brought up our conversations of books' capacity for good or bad. Ultimately, I agree that books have the potential to empower an individual, and whether this is for better or worse is up to the reader.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with you! How can a school possibly argue about banning a book that has won awards? That's obviously not the only reason why banning certain books is absurd, but in all, college is a time to grow and enhance learning, like you said. One reason I enjoy my major so much is because I am always introduced to new books and other pieces of literature, and when the overlap, it just proves how great of a piece of work certain books are to be taught over and over again.

    Congrats on graduating! I know you'll do great things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, it is crazy to think a college student would not be mature enough to handle this text. If that is the case college probably isn't for them. I actually found this to be more relatable and relevant to our generation, and something students would want to read even outside of the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just for the record: the Common Read is decided (ultimately) by the vote. The university never intervenes. The book wasn't selected because (unfortunately) it didn't get the most votes.

    ReplyDelete