Wednesday, April 8, 2015

"The Man Without a Face"



The “Man Without a Face” is a symbol that really impacts me in this text: “Dejame, she screamed, and when she looked up she saw that there was one more cop sitting in the car, and when he turned around she saw that he didn’t have a face” (Diaz 141). In this quotation, Beli is searching for a savior from The Ganster’s wife’s “hitmen,” but all she sees is a faceless person. Why? Is it because no one can help her at this point? Is she doomed to be another quiet victim? I believe the “Man Without a Face” appears in this scene, because The Ganster’s wife is Trujillo’s sister. Therefore, there is a connection to his power. 

            I believe the “Man Without a Face” character is an aspect of Diaz’s usage of magical realism. In an experimental film class I completed within the communication department, we watched a film (i tried to find the title, but I could not) and many of the people did not have faces. The image is very haunting and not something that is easy to forget. What could this anonymous character stand for? I believe that the “Man Without a Face” is to symbolize the many victims of suicide (which Oscar has already attempted to commit) or perhaps the violence of Truijillo. Some of these individuals remain nameless and “faceless.” What do you think? What does the “Man Without a Face” symbolize?

6 comments:

  1. I really like your take on this! My first thought was that the "Man Without a Face" is a symbolism of death. Beli saw him when she was being beaten, technically "to death," so maybe there is some connection there. I agree that is extremely intriguing, and most certainly "haunting" like you have said above.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, the man without a face is a haunting and disturbing image. My interpretation is that the faceless man, a cop, symbolizes the countless numbers of people that were tortured, murdered, or disappeared by Truijillo. The faceless cop may also symbolize the many eyes that Truijillo used to spy on the citizens of the Dominican Republic. Anyone, anywhere, at any time could turn you over to the authorities and your life would be over. Perhaps, it is also a symbol of fear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The concept of the man without a face to definitely disturbing. I feel like he might be a symbol for violence and despair. He tends to show up during scenes of violence and/or despair. The scene you mentioned was a moment of both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an interesting post, Kristen. Also, I like your theory, Charles, that the faceless man represents the people who turned on you. Even Abelard's close friend and neighbor, we learn, betrays him. The faceless man seems to symbolize fear, uncertainty, death, etc. It is a frightening image.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never thought of this figure as a symbolic figure for suicide; however, I really wish for him/her to be a figure of safety/guardian. I know that sounds cliche, but I the events the take place in this novel are so crucial and fatal I just want a glimpse of hope to be SOMEWHERE!! I think that is why I feel that this faceless figure is somewhat of a guardian angel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The man with no face reminds me of "The Son of Man" a painting by Magritte. The painting is of a man with his face obscured by an apple. This image has been referenced multiple times in popular culture. The first time I came across a man with a hidden face was in a book called The Magicians by Lev Grossman. In this novel, the man's face is hidden by a tree branch and is the novel's antagonist. In my opinion this archetype (whether the face be hidden or nonexistent, like in Oscar Wao) represents the evil in humankind. The negative qualities human's possesses can't be described in a few words. It is something which manifests itself in many different ways at many different times. Therefore one of the few ways it can be represented is by a man with no face or a man with a hidden face. It is something which can't exactly be defined or truly focused on.

    ReplyDelete