Thursday, January 22, 2015

Wishful Thinking in "wishes for sons"

I believe that Lucille Clifton’s poem “wishes for sons” is unique because of its clearly feminine imagery. After analyzing the title, and before I read the poem, I assumed that this poem was going to be about a mother who seemed to only be able to have daughters and that is why she wished for a son. However, after I read this poem, I realized that my first assumption was entirely wrong. Not only do I think that “wishes for sons” is extremely humorous, but I also think it does a nice job of underlining the stages female bodies go through in a lifetime. I love that Clifton uses brute honesty and doesn’t refrain from describing the cycles women go through. Clifton writes, “i wish them cramps/… i wish them one week early/ and wearing a white skirt” (stanza 1-2 lines 1-6). Clifton’s feminine imagery of “cramps” and starting early while “wearing a white skirt” makes me laugh because to most women these aren’t foreign circumstances. However, I wonder if other readers find Clifton’s descriptions in “wishes for sons” slightly disturbing rather than comical.  

3 comments:

  1. I think men would find them disturbing because though they like to be tough, most would faint if they passed a clot of any type. Women however, I think will find this very easy to relate to and as you said, familiar to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Leah and Rachel as well. Most men who read this poem would probably not find the title to be comical because men have never experienced a period and do not know how truly miserable it can be. However, I do find the title to be funny because it is relatable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely could relate to this poem, and I'm sure most of us (women) have at some point wished men truly understood the troubles we go through every month, instead of rolling their eyes when we complain about the pain of cramps which can really be quite awful! I'm also curious about a man's reaction to this poem. Hopefully they will give us their perspective in class tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete