Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Cavendish and Bradstreet are both clearly talented poets, but represent themselves in opposing fashions through their work. In Cavendish’s “The Poetess’s Hasty Resolution” I hear the voice of a woman who is proud of her art and who has a strong desire to share it with the world, “Reading my verses, I liked them so well, / Self-love did make my judgement to rebel.” (1-2). Reading Bradstreet’s “The Author to Her Book” I picture an anxious woman who fears imperfection and criticism, and yet somehow seems to come from a more honest place, “Who thee abroad, exposed to public view, / Made thee in rags, halting to th’ press to trudge, / Where errors were not lessened (all may judge).” (4-6). I don’t mean to slight Cavendish, however, Bradstreet’s poem is so relatable to almost any writer. When I write something that will be read by others, I stress to make it as “perfect” as possible in an attempt to avoid heavy criticism that I know will be taken much too personally, and understand quite well where Bradstreet is coming from. I do credit Cavendish for her bold statements of self certainty, though. It is possible to have confidence in one’s art while also feeling self conscious as it is judged by others. I suspect both Bradstreet and Cavendish experienced pride and doubt over their work, each preferring to share a different side for one reason or another.

3 comments:

  1. Good observations, Rachel. I concur. Also, I think that due to her elevated social status, Cavendish incurred less risk than Bradstreet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel and Charles, if you remember (or look at quickly) the introduction to Cavendish, it also states that her husband support her "aesthetic ambitions" (160). This is another difference between Bradstreet and Cavendish that should not be ignored. Not only was Cavendish of a higher class, she had her almighty husband's green light to be a crazy writer. Like you stated Rachel, Bradstreet, a Puritan woman, would not have been so lucky and would have had some anxiety, because she would have always had to be suspect of what people were thinking of her, whereas Cavendish had much more freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have made some interesting observations Rachel. Personally I prefer Cavendish for her decadent and rebellious nature. I feel that it took a very strong woman to be so bold and confident when speaking of her accomplishments during the time period she wrote.

    ReplyDelete