Friday, January 16, 2015

"The Balcony" VIP Pass Into a Woman's Discussion


To expand on what we were talking about in class today, I want to continue the discussion on Grace King's "The Balcony." One of my discussion questions that I submitted to Dr. Hanrahan was, “In “The Balcony” there are a lot of feministic terms used to describe a woman who is both married and a mother, but there is no mention of a woman’s life before those objectives have been reached. Is it being suggested that a woman has no purpose until she obtains the goals of wife and motherhood?” Before class, I had the preconceived notion that in “The Balcony” King was talking from the perspective of someone who was married with children. This assumption came from the way in which the group of women on the balcony seemed pretty inclusive- almost as if you needed a special VIP pass (the title of both wife and mother) to gain access into the conversation. However, I cannot help but change my views after learning that King never did find a husband or have any children during her lifetime. I am beginning to wonder if King wrote “The Balcony” with the mindset that she was missing out on what society deemed the proper lifestyle for a woman. Did she feel regret that she would never gain access to the balcony or, like someone else mentioned in class (sorry, I don’t know names yet!), was she speaking from the perspective of one of the children who was falling asleep while the mothers were talking? So much to think about and discuss! 


Nicky  

2 comments:

  1. Nicky, I was also wondering along these lines. When the comment was made in class about how King never married or had children, I had the thought that it seemed like her balcony world was idealized - like an exclusive club she wasn't able to join. Do you think reading it with a sense of regret/being ostracized changes any interpretations from class?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting points Nicky and to expand on that, at first I wondered if it is because once you become a wife and mother you forget what life was like before that. It is so all consuming and changes you so much that you are really merely a ghost of your former self. I too felt very thrown when I found out she never held either position and wonder if she was the child since she mentioned this child may be "precocious" which a creative writer budding may very well have been. I like your view too Kristin because is puts a spin on it I was not considering. Perhaps she developed a sense of loss from being dubbed a spinster or maybe feeling less than due to not fulfilling the expected gender roles of her time? Hmmm...lots to ponder!

    ReplyDelete