Sunday, January 18, 2015

A tangent from Haley's "'Real Women' in the Reel World"

Reading Haley's post reminded me of a time a history class of mine brought up women's roles in Hollywood.

As history students, we came to the conclusion last semester that women were usually given awards in Hollywood when they reinforced negative stereotypes as that character.

For example, you may recall 12 Years a Slave came out a few years ago (we had to keep it history and race related since it was a post-emancipation of slaves class, so bear with me). The actress, Ashley Dyke(?), was given an award for best actress or something to that effect. She played the slave, Anna, who was somewhat a main character.  But she wasn't given an award for being a good actress that portrayed a successful woman, or a smart woman, or anything else. As a black woman, she was given an award for portraying a good slave.

There are many black actresses, but I have never seen someone get an award so fast as Ashley Dyke. I think 12 Years a Slave was one of her first roles. Maybe she is just a really fantastic actress, but I want other opinions.

So if I haven't made my point clear yet, I think this also relates to 360 because it boils down to a woman being awarded for portraying negative stereotypes.  I was just wondering if anyone noticed if this related any where else with women in Hollywood? Like women only getting awards for portraying June Cleaver moms or something.


A link to Haley's Post

 http://engl360spring2015.blogspot.com/2015/01/real-women-in-reel-world.html

1 comment:

  1. In the play "Trifles," the men and women are divided simply because of their gender, and the views that they held for each gender stereotype. This division is the basis of the play.
    I recently read some comments on a blog discussing the change in college age women (particularly women involved in sororities) over the past few decades. It stated that women are much more outspoken and display more confidence in how they dress and act. This post was not encouraging this change, stating that the women were becoming more masculine and less attractive. I was amazed to see the outrage that this post raised from men and women alike. Although I found this post to be offensive, I was reassured by the fact that the readers of this post were not divided by gender; men and women alike were outraged.
    I completely agree with Danielle that women (and men as well) are expected to live up to certain gender roles, and are praised for doing so. However, I believe that society as a whole is beginning to recognize the unfairness in this way of life.

    ReplyDelete