Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Anxiety of Perfection - Bradstreet

I have also read this poem a couple of times in other classes. I love Bradstreet, but I cannot help but point out her fear of flaws in this poem. I believe Bradstreet is demonstrating the anxiety of perfection as a poet, but also as a woman. Why do women feel like they need to be perfect in many aspects in order to succeed? Why do women feel like they are pressured by society to be perfect? Do men and women have the same pressure to be perfect? I think that when Bradstreet’s text was released to the public without her consent she felt exposed: “Thy blemishes amend, if so I could: I washed thy face, but more defects I saw, And rubbing off a spot still made a flaw” (12-14 Bradstreet). In this quotation, Bradstreet illustrates ownership and desperation. Her “ill-formed offspring” was released too soon and now, to Bradstreet, the child is beyond repair. Bradstreet does “send thee out the door” in the conclusion of the poem, but I have to point out the fact that she wrote a whole poem about her child/book with imperfections. Does this lead back to my first question?




3 comments:

  1. I don't think men and women have the same pressures to be perfect. Certainly they both have pressures, but they differ greatly.

    As for why women feel they need to be perfect my only answer is the bible. I'm a history major and I have noticed the portrayal of women changing simply by introducing that book in a once pagan civilization. For example, how women act in Russia and Asia before the bible and after. Women did not always have this pressure to be perfect. Women in Russia and Asia were in fact great and unchallenged rulers sometimes. However, when the bible was introduced it created a lot of the oppression against women. For example, Eve tempting Adam into eating the apple, original sin, women were not created in the image of God, etc etc. They were created to be a partner for men. Therefore, they are lower than men on the chain of being and further away from God. In that aspect, women have to be perfect because even at perfect they are still lesser than men.

    It really is astounding to see the difference in Russian women going from complete equals to lesser beings through the spread of Orthodoxy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Women feel the need to be perfect because they are expected to be perfect. If a man wants to work 70 hours a week and rarely see his family, he is a good provider. Should a woman decide to do the same, she is neglecting her duties as a mother. Society's expectation would be for her to find a "perfect" balance between work and family if she intends to have a career. I also believe that men endure heavy expectations to be breadwinners and support their families; "stay at home dad" isn't something you hear often, because sadly, many people would view that man as a failure. We're all trying to live up to gender expectations that may not be realistic for some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danielle, I took a Bible as Literature course last semester with Dr. Nixon. I think you would have found that really interesting! Their are a few (sadly, not many) female characters in the Bible that present a feminist approach. For example, Ruth, Judith, Esther, and Mary. These women can all be considered strong women of the Bible with a close relationship to God.

    I'm not arguing against your point, I believe in hearing different viewpoints.

    ReplyDelete