Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Bradstreet and Cavendish: The Birth of a Poem


When I read Cavendish’s poem “An Excuse for So Much Writ upon My Verses” and Bradstreet’s “The Author to Her Book,” I instantly find myself drawn to the maternal language used by both women as they reflect on the poems they have written. Cavendish uses maternal language and metaphorically refers to her poem to her child when she writes, “About my book, alas it is my child.” Bradstreet also refers to her poem as her child when she writes “Thou ill-formed offspring of my feeble brain, / Who after birth didst by my side remain.” In class we spoke about Cavendish and Bradstreet’s possible reasons for referring to their poems as their children. However, I wonder, would it have been acceptable in the time period that Cavendish and Bradstreet were writing for a male gendered poet to refer to his poem as his child? Obviously men cannot give birth, but in order for a child to be conceived a male is needed, so why would it have been frowned upon for a man to show the same connection to his poetry as Cavendish and Bradstreet? Is it that the connection between poetry and child was considered too feminine? It is completely possible that I have overlooked male poets from Cavendish and Bradstreet’s time who did in fact refer to their poetry as their children.

4 comments:

  1. I really like these observations! I was really interested as well in the way the two authors refer to their poetry in a maternal manner, but what I also found interesting about it was how different they were. I think it would be interesting to look at the differences between the way they relate to their work in comparison to each other, but also, just as you said, in relation to the male poets of their time. Particularly focusing on why, as you mentioned, the writers relate to their work in such a way (maternally) and how it was viewed by their surrounding societies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find your point to be intriguing, and something that should be looked into. Although it is obvious that it was challenging for women to overcome the stereotypical views and setbacks that they faced simply for being female, which is wonderfully displayed in the reading "Mrs. Adolphus Smith Sporting the ‘Blue Stocking,’” did men face their own setbacks and stereotypes?

    Kristi Veach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose that all writers, regardless of their gender, face setbacks and stereotypes; however, I think that those faced by women were far greater impediments to writing than those imposed upon men. Imagine the difficulty that black women faced or indigenous women. The refusal to accept our culturally defined performative roles is tantamount to a revolutionary act that is capable of transforming society.

      Delete
  3. I really don't know the quick answer to Rachel's question. I can't think of examples of male writers calling works their children, but that doesn't mean it's unprecedented. Can anyone else think of an example?

    ReplyDelete