Tuesday, January 13, 2015

When I saw the title of Bradstreet's poem "The Author of Her Book," it did not sound familiar. As I read, however, this is definitely a poem I have read at least twice before. I don't recall which classes I read the poem in, but I recognized it right away. Overall,  I really enjoy this poem, because it is so relative to today, even though it's many years before today's time. Bradstreet proves that flaws exist, and at some point in time, everyone will be ashamed of his/herself. Personally, I still have days when I look in the mirror and find myself unhappy with something. Other days, I'm completely content, but that's life. I like that Bradstreet approaches the topic of low self-esteem in such a different way. Ultimately, no one is made perfect, therefore, the lesson I take from this poem is to simply embrace what has been given to you.

4 comments:

  1. I really like that you saw it this way. After reading your post I went back and reread the poem and have a different appreciation for it. Originally, I interpreted it as she did not view her book as perfect, but her shame came from not being able to control how people saw it. Since it is literature everyone will interpret it in a different way (very much how we did) even if she wanted to go back and fix it people would still see it through their eyes and not hers. The book then almost becomes something that she isn't even really apart of. She wrote the words, but the emotions and experiences thought of are not hers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also remember reading this poem in English 204 and it brought back the admiration I had for her when I read it the first time. For a woman in the 1600's to be this educated and have the fortitude to poke fun at her own work is truly astounding. I know there was an outcry for her to leave the writing to the men but she persevered writing brilliant prose and likely being one of the earliest feminists published. Hats off to her for carving a path for the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really appreciate your perspective on this poem, because I normally do not find a connection to this poem. I struggle to get over the aggressive language that is linked to children (even if it is a “book child”). However, taking a moment to look at it as if Bradstreet is letting her poem, and her fears, go is a refreshing change from my normal reading of this poem.

    ReplyDelete