Friday, January 23, 2015

Notes on One Day Missing Aunt Scarlett

After today's discussion I cannot help but notice that my thoughts keep returning to Clifton's poetry, specifically "To My Last Period" and "Poem to My Uterus." When comparing these two poems I notice that there is a variation in the tone used for each piece, but the presence of nostalgia is prevalent in both. I find myself focusing on the terms of endearment with which Clifton refers to her uterus ("old girl") and her period (simply "girl"). Not only is she determining that her uterus and period are both distinctly feminine parts of her body, but she is also recognizing them as parts of herself that she values. As a woman I know all too well the detriment of having a period. The cramps, mood swings, and cravings are all too real, and it is never an experience I have ever looked forward to. I realize that I have taken the not-so-great parts of being a woman for granted up to this point in my life. What Clifton's poetry helped me to do was to look at the undesirable parts of being a woman in a new light. Just like Clifton, my uterus and my period define me. They represent my ability as a woman to endure physical and emotional pain in a way that a man will never experience. I see now that there is power in that ability. Like Clifton was able to do, I love the idea of growing and changing my perspective of my physical self, and who knows... maybe one day I will miss my period too.

No comments:

Post a Comment