Friday, January 16, 2015

A Look at Margaret Cavendish's "The Poetesses Hasty Resolution"

I really enjoyed this poem by Margaret Cavendish. I enjoyed the strength and pride she had in her writing, "Reading my verses I liked them so well/Self-love did make my judgement to rebel" (1-2). I liked how she thought of herself as a rebel and in a sense she was. The level of self-indulgence that is evident in this opening is something that men would have frowned upon at the time that she wrote this poem. Cavendish goes on to be insulted for her work, "Then take pity, do the world a good turn,/ And all you write cast in the fire, and burn" (15-16). This insult could be taken as another woman who has taken offense to the writing Cavendish has taken such pride in, perhaps it is the pride itself that offended the offender. I believe it could also be read as Cavendish herself self-doubting her work and telling herself it's no good. Next Cavendish hastily sends the work out in defiance and then asks her audience to take pity on her in a way that isn't unlike the self-indulgence of the earlier section of the poem, "Take pity, and my drooping spirits raise, / Wipe off my tears with handkerchiefs of praise" (23-24). These last lines on the surface seem to be the author regretting sending out her work and becoming devastated. Her solution to her devastation is the suggestion that she won't feel as bad if people like it. The reason this is echoing back to the earlier self-indulgence is the fact that it is evident in the voice of the poem that the speaker won't just feel better for that praise, she expects it. There is a confidence in these lines that suggests the author truly knows her work is exceptional and any criticism will be drowned out by praise. For this reason I found this poem to be particularly interesting and I see Margaret Cavendish as a decadent and rebellious figure for her time.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting! Can you say a bit more about what you mean by "decadent"?

    ReplyDelete