Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Thoughts on Cavendish "The Poetess's Hasty Resolution"

As I read through this poem for the second time, I found myself smiling throughout the entire read.  I loved that Cavendish took us on the journey we likely all find ourselves on as we begin to write, and was in awe that she related to me from the 1600's.  I have written many papers that at first read I have also "liked so well" and been more than enthusiastic to continue thinking I have a great idea or a new spin on a topic for a paper.  However, I walked into class only to discover someone else had submitted the same idea with an even better spin or I got the paper back with a grade I was not expecting and comments on how I need to improve instead of the "wow this was great" I was hoping for.  I have felt the anger, the disappointment and questioned whether or not I had made the right decision to be an English Ed major however, kept writing because I love it and I know that deep down it is what I am supposed to do.  So, I try again , turn in another paper and when it comes back with the response I want, I use it to "wipe off tears with handkerchiefs of praise" and learn and grow with the comments I receive.  I think this poem is brilliant and so very relevant to all of us struggling writers moving through the English program and I really appreciated the chance to laugh at myself through her wit and prose.  This is one I will hang on the wall to remind myself that if she could do it in the 1600's, I surely can figure it out now!

3 comments:

  1. Leah, I too have experienced receiving a bad grade on something I thought was wonderful and I couldn't agree more that "The Poetess's Hasty Resolution" deals with feelings similar to this. However, my experiences differ from yours slightly. I feel disappointment too, but if I receive a bad grade on something I really, really loved I'll wipe my tears with my own "handkerchief of praise". That might sound a little conceited, but if I am happy with the work I produce or, so to speak, the "child" I create than that is all that matters to me. I guess I'm like the beginning of this poem, "considering not how others would them like."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea that you have and the way you relate it to many of our lives as growing and aspiring writers. I did not at first think of this poem as a means of encouragement, but you have certainly opened my eyes. I have experience the feelings you describe about the grades and the comments on papers I was just so proud of. Also, just like you, I think this poem is going in my file for just one of those rainy days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leah I found your look at the poem to be very interesting. I didn't quite relate to Cavendish in the way that you did. I read her words more the way that Morgan suggested she takes criticism for something she truly loved. I feel that Cavendish's poem is filled with levels of self-indulgence that I particularly loved. I see it as the way many writers want to speak about their own work regardless of what other people say, but usually are afraid to because they are worried of being viewed as conceited and pompous. I found it refreshing especially knowing that the poem was written by a woman in the 1600's. The fact that she was also a Duchess probably helped a great deal with this freely confident voice.

    ReplyDelete