Wednesday, January 21, 2015

How "right" was Mr. Wright?

I don't believe I had read this short story before this class, but I've taken so many English courses that I've lost track. Ultimately, I really enjoyed it, and I'm amazed at the amount of detail and debate that can be pulled from such a short piece. The story can go in so many directions, but the one I wish to discuss is the irony of Mr. Wright's name. I actually didn't think much of it until Dr. Hanrahan made a comment that kind of indicated that Mr. Wright wasn't all that right. As readers, we don't really know what kind of man he was because he's dead when the story begins. All we are given are the words and actions of those who knew him. After reading, I can conclude that he was, in some way, abusive toward his wife, because she chooses to kill him as a result. Mrs. Hale even says that Mrs. Wright "was kind of like a bird herself--real sweet and pretty...how she did change" (1974). It is clear that Mr. Wright took the song and life out of his wife, showing his hard and bitter side. Mr. Wright's disinterest in his wife is even apparent at the beginning of the story. Mr. Hale said that he even considered talking to Mr. Wright's wife about a particular matter; however, he then said that he "didn't know as what his wife wanted made much difference to John" (1968). Mr. Hale's comment makes it seem as though Mr. Wright didn't care about his wife's opinion, and to me, a happily married couple cares, about every little thing.

2 comments:

  1. I would disagree that Mr. Wright didn't care about his wife's feelings. Mr. Hale is trying to get Mr. Wright to agree to a party line, and thinks that talking about it in front of his wife will make a difference to his cooperation. Mr. Wright also strangled the bird, which leads the audience to assume that Mrs. Wright must have evoked something that would cause that response. I would say that he is interested in what she thinks, if only to help his image.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree that the relationship was unhealthy. However, as a history major since there was no solid evidence of abuse it's hard for me to put a lot of my chips in that corner. I'm sure all of us have been around people that bring out the worst in us. It's not abuse, but it can certainly change a person if they are exposed to that person for so long and isolated from the people that bring the balance back into our lives. I think that's what happened here. The women even admit to each other that they stopped spending time with Mrs. Wright.

    ReplyDelete