Monday, February 23, 2015

The Barry Line

The story, "Old Woman Mangoun" has been one of the darkest themed stories we have read in class yet. The layers within the story that Freeman creates, in addition to the morbid elements that are brought up by the tale, create a story that begs for in depth analysis. Not only should we excavate through the layers, as Dr. Hanrahan has been asking us to do, but the story is one that begs time be spent actually looking at the layers. One layer I would like to take a moment to look at relates to the character of Nelson Barry. While it was universally acknowledge that he was a monster of man I think that there is, obviously, more to him. This idea is supportable by the fact that when Lily is dying he genuinely does feel bad: "'is she sick?' he asked in a hushed voice. . . .'Good God? why didn't you send for some one for me-before? Why, she's dying; she's almost gone!'." Therefore, due to his clear distress readers can see that, even if he is a disgusting man, he is not entirely heartless. This realization concerning Nelson caused me to begin to wonder what happened to him and the Barry line that caused it to become the untrustworthy and "bad" name it has become. Of course, I have no textual evidence that can answer any questions I have to ask why Nelson Barry is, "the degenerate of a fine old race." However, at the core of this layer, I think, should simply be the realization that no character in this story is completely two dimensional. I am in no way "team Barry," nor do I condone his motives or actions; however, I do think that in order to be good readers we should consider, and wonder, how Nelson Barry's bloodline became tainted. Has there been bad Blood in the Barry line for a long time? Did the bad blood start with Nelson? What was the cause of the bloodline being tainted? Was the alcohol that seems to be corrupting the rest of the men in the town to blame for the Barry's fall as well?

4 comments:

  1. Chloe, It seems possible that Barry's grief over Lily was akin to that of a slave owner. Might he have been upset that he was losing his property? Without Lily, how was he going to pay his gambling debt to Jim Willis? How could he and his minions sexually exploit a corpse? Of course, this is only speculation on my part. Your question about where the Barry's went astray is interesting. I do not think that any of us can provide an answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You raise a good point in wondering just what happened to Nelson Barry. We spent a lot of time bashing his character and cringing at his actions, but you're right-we don't know his complete story, and it's unfortunate that we have developed such a negotiate view on his character due to his actions in the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chloe, I also wonder what could have caused the Barry blood-line to be tainted. I remember in class someone brought up the "dog-like" behavior of Nelson Barry's sister which seems to point to incest. I wonder if, because the Barry's had married a little too closely, Nelson may not function like a typical person. If both Nelson and his sister mentally suffer as a result of incest, maybe this could be what finally ended "a fine old race."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this post and the ensuing discussion. I think I mentioned in class that even the despicable Nelson Barry is portrayed with some depth, especially in the death scene. All of this testifies, I think, to the strength of Freeman's writing.

    ReplyDelete