Monday, February 16, 2015

"Hints to Young Wives" and it's relevance today

     "Hints to Young Wives" was my favorite Fanny Fern piece of the selected columns. I believe I loved this one so much because it is still so relevant in today's society. Growing up as a young girl, I read and was told countless stories about falling in love. In almost all of them love was portrayed in a unrealistic way: the princess always finds her perfect prince, the misunderstood bad boy changes his ways, or the quiet, unpopular girl wins the heart of the most popular boy in school. I'm not suggesting that these things never happen, but as Fern says, they are "rare birds." The stories about love we hear growing up, generally always end happily. I found that my expectations of love were aligned with fairy tales, rather than real life.
     I was one of the naive young girls that Fern is trying to warn. I wish that as a girl, I had grown up reading things like this, instead of fairy tales. I wish I had been warned that the majority of the time, when a man "has possession of every inch of your heart, and no neutral territory-- he will turn on his heel and march off whistling 'Yankee Doodle.'" Perhaps, if I had been told growing up that this was the norm, and that the fairy tales were the exceptions, I might not have been so ready to give my heart away.
     Fern's insights were needed during her time period much more than today, however, young women of today still need to be aware that love isn't the end all goal of life. Instead of filling young girl’s heads with unrealistic romances, we need to make them aware of what realistic love is. Young women need to be aware that their happiness needs to come before love and that while a relationship may contribute to their happiness; it is not the only thing that can. I've learned that traveling and seeing every inch of the world I can, makes me happier than any man ever could.
    I'm curious if anyone else in the class related to this piece as strongly as I did? Has anyone else had warped or unrealistic expectations of love? If so, do you feel like it was because of the importance our society places on romantic love?

6 comments:

  1. Morgan, I am deeply touched by the honesty and openness of your post. I suppose that more than a satirist, Fern was, as you have suggested, a realist. Too often, I think, that we tend to prefer fairy tales to reality. But as Thoreau said: "Any truth is better than make believe." Live a purposeful life, do whatever fulfills you as a human being, and I suspect that love may find you in the act of living. And if it does not, you will have lived a wonderful life anyway. If there is one thing I have learned from living 61 years on this earth, it is that life is hard. I think that you are living a conscious life, Morgan, and that gives me hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morgan, I think that this post is very truthful. I grew up watching fairy tales, and although I was more concerned with the magic than the love, they are a part of my life. I can absolutely see where you are coming from; I have a friend who chased after men all through high school, and now after being out of high school for four years, this is still her main concern. This is part of her personality, and I believe that many women, and men, would still chase love even without societal influences. However, as you state, some people are persuaded by society that the only way to reach happiness is by finding a forever relationship. I agree that some encouragement to travel, explore, and flirt a little along the way may help men and women alike to find that relationships are not the only source of happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very inspired by your post Morgan, and I definitely found myself nodding in agreement as I read. I firmly believe that some women today could use a good dose of Fern in their love lives. I absolutely love and relate to the portion of the work where she says that those perfect loves are "rare birds." I agree with you that there needs to be a fair amount of realism poured out into society instead of continual fairy tale telling. I will also admit to having to get over those "warped. . .expectations of love" as a young girl, However, I am, like you are I'm sure, profusely thankful that I did come to realize these issues Fern points out, and I found out quickly that there were so many other things that could make me happy besides men.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very inspired by your post Morgan, and I definitely found myself nodding in agreement as I read. I firmly believe that some women today could use a good dose of Fern in their love lives. I absolutely love and relate to the portion of the work where she says that those perfect loves are "rare birds." I agree with you that there needs to be a fair amount of realism poured out into society instead of continual fairy tale telling. I will also admit to having to get over those "warped. . .expectations of love" as a young girl, However, I am, like you are I'm sure, profusely thankful that I did come to realize these issues Fern points out, and I found out quickly that there were so many other things that could make me happy besides men.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know what they say: "A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle." The inference is, and I agree with it, that a woman does not need a man in order to be happy, a sentiment that Kristi and Chloe have eloquently expressed in their comments. However, if one is fortunate enough to find the right person, a kindred spirit can embellish your life experience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone, for all your kind words!

    ReplyDelete