Friday, February 13, 2015

Austen & Lefroy

Let me begin in writing that I believe there is great value in biographical readings of texts, particularly when much research is readily available about certain superstar authors and their celebrated books. Of course, there is inherent value in the product of the novel itself, but I think our understanding and empathy with the content only becomes richer when we consider the individual who imagined it. Perhaps it brings us closer to the story, or provides a more immediate avenue of connection.  

In this case of Austen and Pride and Prejudice, I am affected deeply by Austen's never being married but having written so candidly on love, and particularly on the events leading up to marriage. I can't help but wonder how much of these events -- balls, scandal, romance --  Austen herself experienced, and how much she observed or inferred from her immediate circle. Her letters (in our copy of the text) reveal her to be so lively, and somewhat aligned in character to Elizabeth and Lydia in her dealings with society. It seems she totally participated in this world of Pride and Prejudice, but we are unsure if she was ever  in love or tempted to marry.

Consider Austen's excerpts of letters, to Cassandra Austen (p270-271), on her interactions with a certain Thomas Lefroy. This Lefroy has been canonized in Hollywood as the love of Austen's life (see Becoming Jane by Julian Jarrold), and I wonder how much Austen's quips support this theory. Examine the below excerpts:

"I am almost afraid to tell you how my Irish friend and I behaved. Imagine to yourself everything most profligate and shocking the the way of dancing and sitting down together. I can expose myself..." -Austen

"At length the Day is come on which I am to flirt my last with Tom Lefroy, & when you receive this it will be over -- My tears flow as I write, at the melancholy idea." -Austen

Yet, the footnote on p270 seems to reveal (reductively) that Lefroy felt only a "boyish love" for Austen in his youth. Probably this is a comment consistent with the behavior of 19th century British gentlemen reflecting on their former lovers, but to me this single comment seems to pale in comparison to Austen's brief confessions.

I am no Austen scholar -- I want to know more about this relationship! Does anyone in class have any leads? 

Beyond my personal interests, what I am asking the class is how much of Austen herself do you read within the lines? And what do you make of her intrigue with Lefroy? Were there other Lefroys in her life to contribute to the richness of her understanding of the human heart? 

-Eileen

1 comment: