Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Mr. Darcy and Mr. Bennet role switch

As I read Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, I cannot help but focus on how motivated the Bennet's, especially Mr. Bennet, are to marry their daughters off to men.  It is practically the social norm of this time period to marry daughters off whether or not affection and attraction are present; however, I would argue that Darcy has the opposite perspective of relationships.  If Darcy were to be in Mr. Bennet's shoes with five daughters, I do not believe that he would be so fixated on marrying them off to any man that stepped through the door.  Darcy says after Bingley asks him to dance, "I certainly shall not.  You know how I detest it, unless I am particularly acquainted with my partner" (8).  Darcy is said to have handsome features, but the reputation of a sour attitude; however, I would argue that he is only guarding his intimate side for the "right girl."  I feel that Darcy believes relationships and marriage to be more than just a social norm that people should engage.  Darcy feels that marriage has a deeper and more serious meaning than the social definition that has been placed upon it during their time period, unlike Mr. Bennet who has given into the social structure and feels that marrying his daughters off to whoever because its "what they do" is what marriage really is.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting post! Importantly, though, as a man with money and power, Darcy can wait to marry as long as he wants. And his sister, also someone with money, can wait, too.

    ReplyDelete