Friday, February 6, 2015

In Like or In Love with Elizabeth?

I'm mostly curious this week as to how people feel about the character of Elizabeth in Pride and Prejudice. I am beginning to like her more and more as the story goes on. I think the more that Jane Austen reveals about her, the more we start to see that she is sort of an independent woman. In a time when women were supposed to marry for everything under the sun (except for love), she seems content to not want to put up with any man unless she feels he would make a good husband. For example, she turns down a proposal from Collins because she knows they are not a good fit. I admire that she is so independent, free thinking and firm in her beliefs. Not many female protagonists are written that way in my opinion. It's refreshing coming off of a character like Brett who was so polarizing. I find Elizabeth to be likeable but I'm wondering how everyone feels?

1 comment:

  1. I have to agree I am also loving Elizabeth now! Especially how independent she is and her disinterest in Mr.Darcy. I am starting to wish she was more the main female role rather than Jane.

    ReplyDelete