Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Does Jane have a chance?

So far, there is a line in this novel which has bothered me slightly, and I am curious as to whether or not it holds much truth. While discussing Elizabeth’s surprise arrival to Netherfield, Mrs. Hurst says casually, “I have an excessive regard for Jane Bennet, she is really a very sweet girl, and I wish with all my heart she were settled. But with such a father and mother, and such low connections, I am afraid there is no chance of it.” To this statement there is no reply from Bingley, which I found quite surprising. I assume Mrs. Hurst is saying that Jane won’t be able to find a suitable husband, meaning that there will be no chance of marriage between her and Bingley. From what I’ve read, Bingley seems rather taken with Jane, but does he also believe that this would be an unacceptable match? If so, why would he continue to lead her on? I have to say, it would seem out of character for Bingley to eventually deny Jane in this manner. He seems genuinely good, but I am worried for Jane. Is it very likely that Bingley would not marry this girl so as not to displease his family? 

6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this and I aappreciate your fear for Jane. I am also scared for her. Exspecially when we see how Mr.Bingley's sisters treat Elizabeth. If they are willing to treat Jane's sister so rudely, who knows what may happen to Jane...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, Rachel. I have also wondered this, too. It seems to me that Bingley is interested in Jane, and if it were up to him he would marry her. Hopefully his family does not have too much of an influence on his decision. I would hate to find out that he has been leading her on this entire time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To me it seems like Jane and Mr. Bingley are the female and male counterparts to one another. Both have such strong good natures that they often forget to think of themselves due to the fear of offending someone else. I do not feel you are too far off in thinking that Mr. Bingley will not have the strength to marry Jane. Not only does he have his family's opinion to worry about, but he also has to think about Mr. Darcy's as well. If he in any way would think his marriage to Jane would offend, hurt, or upset any of these listed people I feel that he would at least hesitate in his actions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say I never expected Bingley and Jane would work out. First of all, the class differences. Second of all, how Mrs. Bingley speaks to Jane. Finally, I found that Austen painted this relationship too perfect from the start.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, Danielle, this relationship was made to seem perfect and set in stone, which makes it all the more disappointing. I was naively hoping it would work out for Jane. I really like her character.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post, the question it raises, and the discussion in these comments! Like I said in class, Bingley is a bit of a shadowy figure so far, not in a menacing sense, but in terms of not saying/revealing much. I think this does connect him to Jane (she's the same way, as Nicky points out), but one can't imagine Jane not standing up for someone she cares about.

    ReplyDelete