Friday, February 6, 2015

A Product of Their Time



Literature is strongly influenced by the period of time in which it is written. Similarly, we read it within the context of our own time and filter our interpretations based upon our own ideology and cultural beliefs. For example, our belief that people should marry for love is rooted in the present rather than the time period in which Pride and Prejudice was written. Such a view, while laudable in modern times, would have been widely regarded as idealistic and impractical during Austen’s time. I often have to remind myself of that fact as I read Austen’s work. So it occurs to me that the modern reader is also subject to the same fallacies of pride prejudice as the characters in the novel. 

Thus far in our reading (my first), I am most strongly attracted to Elizabeth and Jane. Judging from Elizabeth’s popularity in these blog posts and class discussions, I think that modern readers are most attracted to her because she is the most modern character in the book, the most like us. Although not infallible, she is intelligent, perceptive, idealistic, and hopeful—wise beyond her years.There are, however, hints of pride in her to which all of the characters in the book are susceptible.

3 comments:

  1. For sure, marrying for love was viewed as idealistic or impractical at that time. However, despite social norms the era, I believe that many women would still have the strong hope of ending up with a man they love. It saddens me to think of so many women settling into unhappy marriages because it was the only way to secure their financial future. Real love and connection are such wonderful feelings, and it is somewhat heartbreaking that many of these women were perhaps denied those key human experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it will be interesting to see how her pride will come into play later in the novel. While I love Elizabeth as a character and respect her independence, I do think she can be quite stubborn. I think eventually she will have to relinquish her pride in favor of Mr Darcy or that pride could be her downfall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree with you Haley. Elizabeth needs to be smart about Mr. Darcy's proposal. Not only is her future at stake if she doesn't marry but so are her sisters! Mr. Darcy has the ability to give Elizabeth a very comfortable life, and if for some reason, any of her sisters don't marry before their father passes he also has the ability to give them shelter. Elizabeth's rejection of Mr. Darcy, I believe for this time period, is a selfish move.

      Delete