Wednesday, February 18, 2015

A New England Nun: Thoughts on Caesar & Louisa



I thoroughly enjoyed reading “A New England Nun” by Mary E. Wilkins Freeman. This story may seem simple and harmless enough, but there are so many layers to this piece. The discussion between Lilly and Joe is interesting, but I love the parts specifically about Louisa or Caesar. Louisa may seem odd to some readers, but I think she is a brilliant main character. I believe that Louisa is an independent woman. She may do domestic tasks throughout the day, but they are therapeutic for her. In this quotation from “A New England Nun,” Freeman demonstrates how Louisa enjoys preforming domestic tasks:
“She had been peacefully sewing at her sitting-room window all afternoon. Now she quilted her needle carefully into her work, which she folded precisely, and laid in a basket with her thimble and thread and scissors. Louisa Ellis could not remember ever in her life she had mislaid one of these feminine appurtenances, which had become, from long use and association, a very part of her personality”(Freeman 356).
            I believe Louisa finds a sense of control or power by routinely cooking, sewing, cleaning, etc. What do you think? This is why I do not believe Louisa’s domestic role to be submissive. I also believe Louisa’s control through domesticity is the reason for her frustrated/flustered nature when Joe messes up her books.
            Caesar, I wish we could have discussed this dog more in class. After I read this story, I could not stop thinking about the dog. I asked myself, “What is with the dog?” “What is the dog a metaphor for?” “Why is Caesar in this piece so much?” Before class, I thought that Caesar was a metaphor for Louisa and Joe’s relationship. I thought that, being engaged, Louisa has a watchful eye on her strange personality (from the town). I believe this is similar to Caesar, because he is traumatized by the neighborhood. However, when Louisa and Joe break it off she can go back into “captivity” and live life how she pleases (much like Caesar). Of course, I agree with Dr. Hanrahan’s interpretation. The fact that Cesar is compared to Louisa’s sexuality makes more sense, just thought I would share my thoughts. If you have any thoughts on Caesar I would be interested.  

5 comments:

  1. I think we were all wondering what purpose Caesar served throughout, and I don't think the metaphor of Louisa's sexuality really crossed our minds. It's funny, though, that as soon as Dr. H mentioned it, it made perfect sense. The dog is chained and when Joe returns he says he's going to unleash him. Sexually, this could stand for Joe; he and Louisa have both been "chained" and unable (maybe unwilling) to have sexual relations, and Joe says he will be ready to "unleash the beast" so to speak, and the two can finally have these relations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen, I think the implication could be that had Caesar been set free by Joe that he would have lost all control by reverting to his puppy stage: “She saw innocent children bleeding in his path” (362). Recall that Caesar had bitten a man when he was still a puppy, which is why he was subsequently chained. Similarly, assuming that Caesar symbolizes Louisa’s latent sexual energy, if Joe had unchained Louisa from her quiet domestic life, as he promised to do for old Caesar, the corollary is that she would revert to her younger self when she and Joe became engaged fourteen years ago. Is Freeman hinting that docile Louisa might have gone on a rampage of sorts? Are we to believe that the nun-like Louisa would have gone on a sexual tear to reveal a hidden nymphomania? If so, what an expression of the duality of human nature!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charles, I think your interpretation of the connection Louisa shares with Caesar is fascinating. I had never thought of the possibility that Louisa could have a "hidden nymphomania." I suppose we will never know the truth, but I think it is definitely an interesting idea that Louisa being unchained might release her intense sexual desires.

      Delete
  3. Kristen, you and I had discussed Caesar a little bit before class the other day. I feel that Caesar is ultimately a symbol for Louissa. Much like he is trapped within his hut, she is trapped within the commitment of this engagement. She does not seem to want to be married, ever, and she seems to be a free spirit; however, she sticks with her commitment because it is the right thing to do. She is a hermit, just like the HERMIT hut hat Caesar is trapped in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving all the thoughts about Caesar! Charles' comment has me mulling this text over again.

    ReplyDelete