Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Class Conflict: The Dialog between Lady Catherine and Elizabeth in Pride and Prejudice



From my perspective, the most interesting dialog in Pride and Prejudice occurs between Lady Catherine De Bourgh and Elizabeth in chapter XIV. The former’s behavior is pervaded by heaping doses of pride and prejudice. Because of her title and lofty socioeconomic status, Lady Catherine assumes an air of superiority and stands in judgment of Elizabeth and her family. However, despite her wealth and status, she has no moral authority from which to judge anyone. In one of my posts pertaining to The Sun Also Rises, I said that the only power anyone has over you is that which you allow them to have. We see this principle exemplified in Elizabeth’s responses to Lady Catherine’s unrelenting ridicule. The exchange reveals much about each person’s character and class relations. It is the verbal equivalent to boxing in Hemingway’s novel. 

Quite predictably, Mrs. Bennet bends over backwards to make a favorable impression on Lady Catherine because she is in awe of her. But Elizabeth stands her ground. In addressing Lady Catherine’s condescending remarks concerning Elizabeth’s potential marriage to her nephew, Elizabeth establishes her moral territory: “He is a gentleman; I am a gentleman’s daughter; so far we are equal” (232). Elizabeth declares that she is not only Darcy’s equal, but also Lady Catherine’s equal. Elizabeth continues: “I am only resolved to act in that manner, which will, in my own opinion, constitute my happiness, without reference to you, or to any person so wholly unconnected with me” (233). Score one for Elizabeth! As contemporary readers of Austen we must consider the effect that such dialog must have had on the readers of that time.



3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love Elizabeth's response(s) to Lady Catherine in this chapter! I just kept saying to myself, "good for you, Lizzy!" Because of the overwhelming Marxism in this reading, it was shocking to see Elizabeth stick up for herself and speak to Lady Catherine in such a way; but, I think because Lizzy does this, is makes the meaning of this novel more relatable and definable. So overall, I really agree with what you have to say here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find this conversation to be very brave on Elizabeth's part. I completely agree with Paige in that looking at the rest of this novel and its reliance on status, it was a little shocking to see Elizabeth speak so bluntly (although I was glad that she did). Lizzy's referral to her father as a gentleman also stuck with me, as she had been looking down on her family, including her father, a good bit previously. I was glad that Austen included this line in order to show us Lizzy's continued love and admiration for her father.

    I also found Mrs. Bennett's actions interesting. Of course Mrs. Bennett would try to make a good impression on Lady Catherine, as Charles states, because of her admiration of the upper class. However, when we first met Lady Catherine previously (when Lizzy was visiting Mrs. Collins) I found her outspoken, gaudy attitude reminded me of Mrs. Bennett. Darcy was even a little embarrassed by her, much like Lizzy is of her mother. I can easily picture that if Mrs. Bennett was of higher social standing she would behave much like Lady Catherine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good observation, Kristi. Indeed, as Dr. Hanrahan pointed out in class the other day, perhaps there is not as much difference between the classes as one might suppose. They are more alike than either would care to admit.

    ReplyDelete