Friday, February 6, 2015

Mrs. Bennet and Mr. Collins: Different Names, Same Anxieties

I have been turning an idea over in my head since the end of class today: are Mrs. Bennet and Mr. Collins symmetric characters? I use the word "symmetric" because I am beginning to believe the two characters parallel each other in function. Both are comic relief, sort of as "fools" because they are outcasts within their own societies/groups. This comic relief springs from their equally absurd behaviors; their actions come across as humorous to readers but in truth, these bumblings actually serve as reflections of social and class anxieties. I believe that Mrs. Bennet and Mr. Collins share a fear (and knowledge) that they are precarious in their respective social positions, and do their best to either advance or mimic the upper classes around them so as to fit in; of course, in doing so, they stand out terribly. While Mrs. Bennet is often entirely tactless, and Mr. Collins too tactful (and horribly polite), their mutual unbeknownst failures in adhering to social norm make them both similar, symmetric characters.

In short, Mrs. Bennet and Mr. Collins are both simply too earnest and awkward for their own good. Because of this, their interactions are particularly hilarious to read.  

3 comments:

  1. I agree. Mrs. Bennet and Mr. Collins are similar, or "symmetric," characters. I don't like either of them but some of their interactions, between the two of them or between one of them and another character, are funny and the comic relief in serious situations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting! I like thinking about their similar functions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good analysis, Colleen. I think your point is well made.You have also helped me to see these characters in a different light. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete