Friday, March 6, 2015

Where Does Guilt Fall?

Many of you have already looked at the relationship between Mr. and Mrs. Pontellier, especially how it seems forced. I completely agree; their relationship is strained. However, we discussed in class Chopin's view of Mr. Pontellier, and whether or not she want us to view him as an antagonist. I believe that Chopin tries to show us the painfulness of the situation that Edna is in, but also tries to keep blame away from anyone.  Mr. Pontellier isn't described as a good, generous husband. During one of  that Mr. and Mrs. Pontellier's arguments, I believe we are able to see insight into the feelings of each individual.  Mrs. Pontellier went out on a Tuesday and missed callers.  Mr. Pontellier states "my dear, I should think you'd understand by this time that people don't do such things; we've got to observe les convenances" (51).  It seems to me that Mr. Pontellier is struggling with supporting his wife's ambitions, and pleasing society's standards.  I do not think that we are meant to view Mr. Pontellier in a poor light so much as the restriction placed on Mrs. Pontellier by the society. Chopin also tries to keep Mrs. Pontellier from blame by helping the reader know her frustrations. After their argument over Mrs. Pontellier spontaneously leaving the house, Mr. Pontellier gets up from the table and goes for dinner at the club. That seems like a double standard to me. My final point on Chopin trying to keep Edna from blame is her shift in the descriptions of the character, which Caroline has already pointed out.  When the Doctor joins the Pontelliers for dinner, he observes Edna: he "noted a subtle change which had transformed her from the listless woman he had known into a being who, for the moment, seemed palpitant with the forces of life" (70).  Edna is happy being herself, and Mr. Pontellier's concern for his wife is genuine worry due to the standards society placed on a housewife.

3 comments:

  1. I think it is a tragic warning of the pitfalls of putting society and appearances before people. I kept thinking of Hollywood marriages and how and why they fall apart as I read this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just don't believe Edna was ever the domestic type. In a perfect world, I see Edna travelling the world with a close friend and enjoying freedom and adventure. Her husband is not a bad man, but he doesn't understand his wife. They are completely different people. He probably could have made a different type of woman quite happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what you are doing in this post, Kristi. Like you, I am drawn to Chopin's depiction of Leonce. He *isn't* a villain or even completely unreasonable. And he's baffled by his wife's change yet isn't cruel to her. Chopin is smart to make him this way: it makes the whole book more interesting.

    ReplyDelete