Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Robert's and Edna's contrasting "Goodbyes"

In Chapter XV, Robert finally tells Edna he is leaving for Mexico. However, he tells he only after she has found out.

The way Edna and Robert say goodbye to each other shows how much they value the traditions and social norms at the time.

When Robert says, "Good-by, my dear Mrs. Pontellier" (45)

Whereas, Edna later asks, "Write to me when you get there, won't you, Robert?" (45)

Robert sticks with the formal and calls Edna "Mrs. Pontellier" acknowledging that she belongs to Mr. Pontellier. Which brings up the question of if he was ever seriously perusing Edna. If he shows he acknowledges Edna as a possession now, then did he always?

However, Edna calls him "Robert" when saying goodbye. It's informal and, I think, also tracks her sexual awakening. If she isn't recognizing social norms of how she should address people, it calls into question that she could be, in this moment, moving more towards her sexual awakening too.

1 comment:

  1. That's an interesting take. I thought it was Robert letting her know it was over and her reminding him it's just begun. I think she had her sexual awakening and when unfulfilled it became her ruin from the rejection. However, I think Robert was just being a flirty Creole and she might have misunderstood so I'm not sure how much blame is his...

    ReplyDelete