Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Religious Connections in "The Foundations of the Earth"



I am enthralled by all of the religious imagery and connections to the scripture in “The Foundations of the Earth,” partially because I recently took a ‘Bible as Literature’ course with Dr. Nixon last semester, so my mind is still on the Bible. I am not surprised by all the biblical references, because I can tell that this is a society of religious people. Beginning with the title of the piece, “Foundations of the Earth” is a passage that is mentioned in various places in the Bible. However, the most relevant to Kenan’s story is in the book of Job (of course): “Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell Me, if you have understanding, Who set its measurements?”(38.4-6).In this quotation, an angry God is challenging Job and demonstrating his power. 

            Of course, another connection to the Bible is Maggie’s dream. In the text, the narrator states: “She dreamed she was Job sitting on his dung heap, dressed in sackcloth and ashes, her body covered with boils, scratching with a stick, sending away Eliphaz and Bildad and Zophar and Elihu, who came to counsel her, and above her the sky boiled and churned and the air roared, and she matched it, railing against God, against her life…”(Kenan 58). To fully understand Maggie’s fiery dream, the reader has to understand the book of Job. The book of Job is the first poetic book in the (Christian) Old Testament and is included in the Writings section of the Bible. The book of Job is a story about “the suffering of the righteous.” To connect back to Kenan’s story, why did Edward have to die at such a young age? Why did Maggie (a religious woman) have to lose her son? 

            I could not close out this discussion without mentioning Gabriel. In the Bible, Gabriel is the angel who foretells the birth of Jesus and his cousin, John the Baptist. Gabriel is a wise and all-knowing kind of angel. In Kenan’s text the narrator states: “…Edward floated before her in the rushing air and quickly turned around into the comforting arms of Gabriel, winged, who clutched her grandboy to his bosom and soared away, out of the storm” (Kenan 58). Gabriel may not predict the birth of Edward, but this quotation depicts his protective and caring nature. I believe this is probably a link to the biblical Gabriel. Thoughts? 

            As a closing nugget of thought, I am still debating on the bigger idea of religion in this piece. Does Maggie seem to go from a very religious woman to a confused individual about her religious ideals? What about the other characters?

5 comments:

  1. Kristen, Nice interpretation! I never read anyone's posts until I have made my own, so as not to be influenced by them. You will see that some of our ideas overlap. I certainly appreciate your fine scholarship on this story. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the religious imagery in the piece is very important, Kristen. I also have been wondering about Maggie's place/ideas on religion as she goes through the story. While on the topic of Maggie's views on religion I think it is important to bring up the continual references to the book of Job. The story of Job is that he was a great man of God and the Devil bet that he could make Job curse God by causing him great grief. I am wondering if there is some sort of parallel, even if just a small one, with the bible story and Maggie (she has the most precious thing to her taken away, she must deal with the rest of the congregation looking down on her for some of her actions etc). I could be totally off in my suggestions, but I think you are on a good track.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that the religious imagery in the piece is very important, Kristen. I also have been wondering about Maggie's place/ideas on religion as she goes through the story. While on the topic of Maggie's views on religion I think it is important to bring up the continual references to the book of Job. The story of Job is that he was a great man of God and the Devil bet that he could make Job curse God by causing him great grief. I am wondering if there is some sort of parallel, even if just a small one, with the bible story and Maggie (she has the most precious thing to her taken away, she must deal with the rest of the congregation looking down on her for some of her actions etc). I could be totally off in my suggestions, but I think you are on a good track.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found it insanely interesting that religious hypocrisy was a major theme in this short story, however, it was religion that helped Maggie realize that she needed to respect others. I was unsure what to think of this. Is this a pro-Christian story or a con-Christian story? I have yet to come to a consensus. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brittany: I was trying to raise similar points in class. You are right that Maggie is disgusted by religious hypocrisy, but it is also absolutely religion that brings about her change and movement towards respect and understanding. I can't see how to read that as anti-Christian.

    ReplyDelete