Thursday, March 5, 2015

Maybe I'm forcing my reading: Mrs. Pontellier and Mrs. Ratignolle

After the short pieces we have been reading lately by Freeman, I could not help but to take the relationship that has been established between Mrs. Pontellier and Mrs. Ratignolle further than a simple friendship.  I would agree with Paige and Kristen.  The marriage between the Pontelliers seems very forced.  Mr. Pontellier is more concerned with Mrs. Pontellier pursuing the lifestyle of a domesticated housewife and mother.  Mrs. Pontellier does not seem to be this type of woman, however.  She even describes herself as living " the dual life--that outward existence which conforms, the inward life which questions" (13).  It is obvious that outwardly Mrs. Pontellier does her best to fulfill her duties as a wife and mother; however, inwardly she is just unsure if this domesticated life is really what she wants, or what makes her happy.  Going off of her questioning of what makes her happy, I would argue that her happiness resides within Mrs. Ratignolle.  Edna is very "fond" of Mrs. Ratignolle.  They spend a good bit of time with one another.  I ask if I am forcing my reading, though.  Some readers have stated so far, like Kristi, that they are just very good friends.  We have made this conclusion with the Freeman readings; however, I feel that there is a more queer undertone at work with this novel.  Aside from Edna being described as more "handsome than beautiful" (3) and Mrs. Ratignolle being described as the domesticated mother with many children and a knack for sewing, Edna also explains her feelings for Mrs. Ratignolle a little more intimate than friendship.  Kate Chopin writes, "exchanging occasional words, glances or smiles which indicated a certain advanced stage of intimacy" (10).  In a way, Edna is flirting with Mrs. Ratignolle.  When Edna draws Mrs. Ratignolle, she says that it is "in many respects satisfying" (12).  I feel that Mrs. Ratignolle serves more than just a friend figure for Edna.  Edna is unhappy with the domesticated position she is expected to fulfill in her marriage, but when she is with Mrs. Ratignolle, she does not have to submit herself to the position.  A lot of the reason is because Mrs. Ratignolle plays the domesticated role in their relationship, so Edna is more of the male figure in the situation.  Also, Edna does not have her husband around when her and Mrs. Ratignolle converse and do things together; therefore, Edna does not have the authoritative and forceful voice of her husband controlling her every move (so a sense of freedom).

4 comments:

  1. Brittany, I am glad I am not the only one sensing the queer undertones. While I still am not sure whether or not we are forcing this reading, or just opting to see through a different lens, I think we are on to something by thinking that there still is something worth noting between Mrs. Pontillier and Mrs. Ratignolle. The only thing I would disagree with is the suggestion that Mrs. Pontillier's marriage seems forced. I feel that it, and Mr. Pontillier, is just too comfortable, simple, and unexciting to her as she experiences her "awakening." As far as her motherhood is concerned, I agree that she tries her best; however, as we discussed in class she is simply just no good at it. I do not think these factors make the marriage forced, however. I would be more inclined to think that it is more like she is realizing and reflecting on what the unwise and hasty life decisions she made got her, and how she is dealing with those consequences

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is an interesting theory and could have some merit. Its interesting to note that Adele is upset with Edna later in the text because she feels she has been neglected and ignored by Edna. Adele also wants Edna to be there when her child is born. I feel a part of Edna is drawn to Adele because she has what Edna can never have, she is the perfect wife and she loves it. I think a part of Edna may be jealous of this fact. Perhaps she thought by being around Adele it would help her become the wife she was "supposed" to be?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you Brittany. I thought that the most interesting point was on page 14, stating that "the most obvious was the influence of Adèle Ratignolle."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Alex in that Edna spent her time around Adele partially in hopes to learn how to become this perfect wife/mother figure. I think Edna admires Adele incredibly, and is very complementary towards her. However as a contemporary reader I am not sure if a queer reading is available for their relationship. I certainly do not want to count it out because I think it makes Edna that much more an interesting character as we experience her sexual awakening.

    ReplyDelete