Monday, March 2, 2015

The Voice of Edna

I am very interested in bird symbolism and language in female literature. When in captivity, birds are often in cages in order to restrain them. These cages may be large or small (comfortable or restricting). For this reason, I often compare bird language in literature to the female characters within the book who may feel restrained, oppressed, or on the other side of the spectrum, free. In The Awaking, the first image the reader is met with is a parrot, “which hung in a cage outside the door, [and] lept repeating over and over: ‘Allez vous-en! Allez vous-en! Sapristi!’” (1). In English translation, the parrot is yelling, “Go away! Go away! For heaven’s sake! (1). The parrot’s screeching results in Mr. Pontellier’s decision to read his newspaper somewhere else. The parrot, I believe, symbolizes Mrs. Pontellier who is also caged inside a seemingly regretful marriage with Mr. Pontilleir. Mrs. Pontellier is restricted by Mr. Pontellier through their marriage and children they share together. Mrs. Pontellier is no longer happy in her marriage but she does not leave Mr. Pontellier because she is dependent on him, through his wealth he gives her food and shelter in the same way the parrot is given food and shelter from its master. Mrs. Pontellier’s relationship with Robert is her way of telling Mr. Pontellier to “‘Go away! Go away! For heaven’s sake!

5 comments:

  1. I also find the birds very interesting and I would think that you are on the right track with your interpretation. This would make a really cool paper topic, are you thinking about it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, I agree with your interpretation. I do not know how far you have read, but there is another bird image late in the story. I will not give the ending away here. I will say, however, that the bird is trying to fly with a broken wing. This provides fascinating imagery that also foreshadows events.I think, too, that the kinds of birds, a parrot and a mocking bird, are important. These are birds that repeat what they hear, and they are kept in captivity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for letting me know, Charles. I will be on the look out for that bird!

      Delete
  3. Such a true statement! "Birds and cages" do have a lot of shared symbology with female characters. I think it is interesting that you think the parrot symbolizes Edna. I originally thought the parrot was supposed to be funny or a quirk of the novel. I also think it is interesting that Mrs. Pontellier is described as the more masculine of the two women (Mrs. Pontellier and Mrs. Ratignolle) and the bird that is used is a parrot. Chopin does not write about some elegant and feminine looking bird. If Edna is the parrot, the Chopin is definitely adding on to her statements when she is describing Edna as a more masculine woman, and how she is not really interested in living such a domesticated lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete