Friday, March 27, 2015

Fun Home= Fun Reading

Is anyone else really enjoying reading Fun Home as much as I am?! The only other graphic novel that I have ever been introduced to is written by Marjane Satrapi and it is called Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood. Basically, Persepolis is about a little girl growing up in Iran during the Islamic revolution, a time of great turmoil and destruction. It is filled with some pretty graphic scenes, things little girls should not have to witness or even think about when they are growing up. I strongly recommend reading it if you have yet to, especially because of the situational connections that can be made to Fun Home. Probably due to my lack of experience with reading graphic novels I am starting to wonder if this writing style is an outlet for authors with particularly difficult childhoods or life stories to get some sort of closure. For me Fun Home has been way more emotionally trying to read in comparison to non-graphic novels. I like that the typical barrier that the 'author does not exist' has been broken due to the way that Bechdel is quite literally showing us what her life was like not only through words, but through illustrations as well. Reading Fun Home feel like such an intrusion in comparison to the other works of literature I have been introduced to. It feels as if I have personally stolen Alison Bechdel's  private diary/ pried my way into her inner-most thoughts. I like how different and expressive this writing style is so if anyone has any more recommendations for graphic novels, please throw them my way!      

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you Nicky...this style is so compelling because I don't have to stretch my mind to see the scenes. Bechdel spells it out for us in every way. I have been unable to put it down and have been spellbound by the entire world she suffered through. The OCD part tore me up and I felt the same way you did...like I was an intruder in her personal diary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, I think some things are better depicted graphically than told. Also, it takes an adjustment period in learning how to view/read graphic novels. Fun Home is extremely well done. It is one of those books that bears rereading this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love your comment " I am starting to wonder if this writing style is an outlet for authors with particularly difficult childhoods or life stories to get some sort of closure." It's something I never considered, but it definitely does seem possible that this writing style was an outlet for Bechdel's writing.

    ReplyDelete