Friday, March 6, 2015

Society's View on Mothers


While reading Danielle’s post, “Edna’s Awakening,” I found it interesting that she made the argument that Edna’s death could be related to the pressure that society placed on mothers during this time. Not only do I believe that society put “pressure” on mothers at this time period, but I also believe that this is still prevalent in society today (Reynolds). I know that on practically an everyday basis while I am scrolling through Facebook or watching a TV station, such as MTV or E! News, I constantly hear about female celebrities, such as Kim Kardashian and Beyonce, being bashed if they do not have their children with them at all times. I also see numerous Facebook statuses of people judging moms if they go out for a night with friends. Society has a huge toll on people’s lives every single day, and it is sad that people care about what others are doing that much. In this case, I agree with Danielle that Edna’s suicide was related to the fact that she was not necessarily happy with being a mother, or as we said in class, that she did not think she was a trophy mother. For example, when we are told that Edna’s children spent the summer away with her grandmother, it is described that the trip was a “sort of relief” for her (18). She needed a break, and she was okay with being away from her children because they were in good hands.
            Because I have seen my older sister, who has three children, need a break occasionally, I understand how Edna is feeling. Being away from your child, in my eyes, does not make you a bad parent. It just means that you need time for yourself. So my question is, what are your thoughts on this? Do you think she is a bad mother because she is okay with her children’s absence? 

2 comments:

  1. I'm okay with it because, while I am not a parent, I am a person and I know how important it is to take time for yourself in order to preserve your sanity. I think Edna is a very "hands-off" parent in that she wants her children to learn for herself and she will not help if she is there for them twenty-four seven. It is similar to the argument that both you and Danielle made bout how a mother should not be judged for being away from her children. It could be that the freedom they get from their children is what makes them a better parent and will hopefully help them not to resent their children later in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think that Edna is necessarily a bad mother but I don't think she should have become a mother. It clearly does not make her happy much of the time.

    ReplyDelete