Sunday, March 22, 2015

Me Too!

In the story "Go Carolina," there is one scene where David Sedaris is asked by the speech therapist: "'So, which do you like better, State or Carolina?'" The scene goes on with David explaining that everyone from where he is from is involved in the athletic rivalry, well, supposedly everyone. David says that, "If a boy didn't care for barbecued chicken or potato chips, people would accept it as a matter of personal taste, saying, 'Oh well, I guess it takes all kinds.'" The dismissive nature of the "personal taste," as well as the setting up of the "athletic rivalry," I think, is an important point in this story.
First, the rivalry becomes a foreshadowing of the tension between those trying to "fix" David and those like him. When David explains that he simply agrees and says, "me too!" to whatever team the other person says they like is an illustration of what he does on a daily basis: just try to fit in.  He is caught in a rivalry he does not care too much about, but he does know that he only wants to be left alone about it. At this point of David wanting to simply be his own person and not be "fixed," the element of "personal taste" comes in. By being dismissive of ones "personal taste" the people around him are playing into the rivalry as well as pushing him farther and farther from what is allowed to be normal in their society. However, David wants to be accepted whether he really is "normal" or not, which, in his case it seems, means putting on the appearance of normal  and sameness by crying "me too!" as often as he can until maybe even he believes it.

5 comments:

  1. Chloe, I like your interpretation of the rivalry aspect of this story. Nice pickup. I had not thought of it, but it makes sense to me now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too, enjoy your interpretation. I couldn't agree more with you; David's cries of "me too" is an attempt to fit in. I would push this even further by suggesting that David's eventual avoidance of "s" words is also an attempt to fit in. He was unable to change his "lazy tongue," so he began to avoid words that would reveal it. He kept it hidden in an attempt to fit in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Chloe. I think this worry over normalcy may have to do with the southern area and the time period. The society/school system feels the need to change those who are not considered "normal." Therefore, David tries to hide his lisp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that your interpretation of this scene is highly accurate. I also found myself feeling sorry for David in this scene when he tries to pick the correct team to impress this woman that he met, and she responds with a simple "I see." Although she was listening to his speech, I can imagine the disappointment David must have felt at this response.

    ReplyDelete