Sunday, March 1, 2015

Foreshadowing in Chopin’s The Awakening



The title of Kate Chopin’s novel tells the reader that a change in consciousness is coming, presumably to the story’s protagonist, Edna Pontellier. I believe that it also foreshadows Pontellier’s affair with Robert and her impending death by drowning: “A certain light was beginning to dawn dimly in her—the light which, showing the way, forbids it” (13).  This passage is an oblique reference to Pontellier’s repressed desire to escape from her culturally assigned performative role as mother and dutiful wife. It is also the first dim acknowledgment of her desire to be with Robert.

Pontellier’s death and her repressed sexual desires are foretold in the metaphor of the sea: “The voice of the sea is seductive; never ceasing, whispering, clamoring, murmuring, inviting the soul to wander for a spell in abysses of solitude; to lose herself in mazes of inward contemplation” (13). The sea symbolizes the birth of consciousness, eternity, and death. “Abysses of solitude” is a metaphor for introspection and death.

Chopin’s description of the sea is both sensuous and seductive: “The voice of the sea speaks to the soul. The touch of the sea is sensuous, enfolding the body in its soft, close embrace” (13).  Chopin poetically personifies the sea into a receptacle for sexual pleasure: a place of awakening consciousness and death, where one can drown in the desire to be free from societal convention and normative behavior.


5 comments:

  1. Charles, your analysis of Edna's foreshadowed death is interesting, and I admit that I hadn't thought of it as I was reading. I'm very interested in Edna and Robert's seemingly eminent affair. I focused on Edna's transformation from asleep to awake, which I think could be caused by another being taking over her body. Perhapes, this being is the spirit Robert tells her about or more likely, Robert himself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely believe that Edna and Robert's affair is looming in the midst of the next few chapters. I agree with Rachel, your analysis of Edna's death is really interesting. I have not thought of her dying. Personally, I have thought about the title of this book a lot. So many of the characters seem very surreal and dream-like. For a while, I toyed with the idea that Robert was a character made up from Edna's conscious. However, I trashed the idea, because I forgot Mr. Pontellier interacts with him in the first few pages. I do think their is something going on with the idea of dreams in this text.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristen, I think that was a truly interesting idea to bring up, even if it can't be possible. It does seem that Robert is different to Edna than he is to others, and Mr. Pontellier shows no concern over their relationship. Edna is also one of the few people truly upset over his leaving. He may be real, but I think he means more to Edna than anyone else; to everyone else he just seems to be a young, flirtatious boy to whom they pay no mind. I'm glad you shared that thought, it's really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know if anyone will see this, but I need to write an essay on this book. For my thesis I wanted to focus on the aspect and significance of foreshadowing but can't tone it down into one sentence.

    ReplyDelete