Friday, March 6, 2015

Tragic Circumstances

I find it so interesting that a novel titled "The Awakening" ends with the poetic death of its main character. Today in class many questions were raised about how we should interpret Edna's departure into the water. Is it tragic? Beautiful? Inevitable? I want to applaud Chopin's writing in her ability to create such a picturesque suicide. In my mind I could see what was happening with no urge to save Edna. I felt she was doing the right thing at that moment. However, while Edna was able to escape all the sources of her unhappiness, I will always view this as tragic. Life has the potential to be so fulfilling and I am sad for people who truly see death as a more attractive option. Also, I strongly believe that much of Edna's depression was due to her circumstances. The text relates to us time and again Edna's unhappiness as a wife and a mother. Had Edna been so privileged as to live her life freely, without attachments to Mr. Pontellier and especially to her children, I think her story would be different. Edna was not always happy, but many times she did find joy in her life, as in this passage, "There were days when she was very happy without knowing why. She was happy to be alive and breathing, when her whole being seemed to be one with the sunlight, the color, the odor, the luxuriant warmth of some perfect southern day." It really seems that Edna was locked in a situation that could bring her no contentment. I think it would go too far to say that no matter what, Edna could not have been satisfied. To the contrary, I believe this story demonstrates the struggles of women during that time who were not permitted to live freely and how that directly affected their wellbeing and created a sense of hopelessness.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed your nuanced reading in this post. Bring this up in class on Monday!

    ReplyDelete