Monday, March 23, 2015

Fun Home with a Fun House



I have read Fun Home before, so I will do my best to post without giving anything away. I find the topic of Alison’s house interesting, because her father goes to great lengths to make the house beautiful, but her family is not close. Bechdel says at one point: “That our house was not a real home at all but the simulacrum of one, a museum” (Bechdel 17). I believe that Alison Bechdel’s home is an example of her father playing pretend: “He used his skillful artifice not to make things, but to make things appear to be what they are not” (Bechdel 16). Bruce Bechdel is hiding from his true-self and playing the role of the perfect father. Alison’s house can never be a true home, because Alison and her father are trapped in defying gender roles. Moreover, this gigantic mansion is cold and separates Alison’s family from one other. I believe a house can never truly become a home without a connected family. Is this huge house a place for Bruce to hide from his problems?

2 comments:

  1. I think you're making a really smart point Kristen. I definitely think that the home is connected to Brue's problems. As we know, Bruce was molested when he was younger, and this is something he couldn't control. I wonder if remodeling the house is a way for Bruce to "control" something in his life. I know that this behavior can be quite common for people who have experienced horrible moments in their life, such as molestation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great point! I definitely see the house as a hide out for Bruce. Perhaps fixing it up makes him feel more patriarchal and meaningful-like he has an actual purpose. The house seems like a way for Bruce to cope, and give him the credit to say "my family is a disaster, but look at our beautiful home."

    ReplyDelete