Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Edna's Death

First, I just wanted to share that this book definitely reminds me of why I started taking English classes to begin with.

"The Awakening" is not simply a "if life is hard, it is better to give up" message. In the book she fights for her independence and refuses to back down to even her father, husband, or society. She fought until she just couldn't anymore.

I've been thinking about the way she died and it just seems so fitting she swam out to sea. The book (to my knowledge) does not ever indicate she stopped swimming. Edna seemed to just swim until she was physically exhausted and couldn't continue to swim. It reminded me a lot of her battle at home.

Both in the sea and at home she swam/fought until she didn't have the strength to continue. I know it explicitly states she swims out to sea, but I can't help but think that maybe it is a metaphor. Maybe losing the battle at home killed her. Since it would be inappropriate for Chopin to write that, she used the sea metaphor.

Eileen and Charles got me thinking about this. Suicide is Not a Word for Literature

6 comments:

  1. I think that this seems very likely based on Edna's character. I found it interesting that once Edna found her independence, she even died on her own terms. She may not have been the strongest character, but she has plenty of determination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In 1915, Joe Hill, a Wobbly labor organizer, has arrested and condemned to death before a firing squad in Utah. He was framed for a crime he did not commit and executed for his political beliefs.Blindfolded, Hill shouted the commands: "ready, aim, fire!" It was the state executioner who was supposed to give the commands. Like Edna Pontellier, Hill took charge and orchestrated his own demise. He, too, was defiant to the end. Both people went out on their own terms. I hope this is not too far off topic, but I thought Hill's actions provided an interesting real life corollary to Chopin's fictional character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your ideas about Edna's suicide. Personally, it seems like Edna finds the only means of escape and leaves the world "on her own terms" (as Kristi mentioned).

    I find the drowning aspect the most interesting. Edna is physically born in water and she chooses to die in water. Dr. Hanrahan said that the sea is feminine, but could their be more to this connection of the "Mother Ocean?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristen is "Mother Ocean" a term or a piece of writing? I've never heard of it before.

      Delete
    2. I love this idea of Mother Ocean. If the sea is in fact feminized, then it is even more fitting that Edna gave herself to it (her?).

      Delete